The 7 principles of Lean product development
A new, innovative application does not come out of the blue. Earlier, we wrote about how the principles of Lean Manufacturing can be deployed. Now we dive a little deeper into that. From problem to product, how does GlobalOrange ensure successful software development?
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- 7 Principles when developing digital products
- Agile-scrum methodology within GlobalOrange projects
The 7 principles
Don’t spend time on unnecessary work by focusing purely on the most valuable aspects of the project.
- Define basic workflows in advance
- Define clear and stable specifications
- Design and brainstorm before planning your project
- Make sure your ‘user stories’ are ready before the start of the first sprint
- Small project? Small team!
- Choose an MVP for the first iterations of your project
- Define achievable goals
- Avoid swapping tasks among team members
BUILD QUALITY DIRECTLY INTO YOUR PRODUCT
Instead of looking for ‘bugs’ or possible errors after developing your software product, optimise the development process so that it creates fewer or no errors. This saves time and work.
- Prevent hacks and other ‘wood/rope solutions’
- Facilitate code reviews
- Start quality checks immediately
- Have developers work in pairs
- Fix bugs immediately
TRANSFER 'POWER' TO THE TEAM
Create an environment where each team member can contribute his or her maximum potential. Provide a free environment where each team member dares to speak up and where team spirit can grow.
- Respect your team members
- React quickly
- Listen carefully
- Be assertive
- Empower your team members
- Challenge each other
The later you make important decisions, the more information you have to make that decision.
- Decide as late as possible
- Keep as many options open as possible
Building and increasing available knowledge increases long-term productivity and makes teams more flexible.
- Create sufficient documentation
- Ensure knowledge sharing
OPTIMISE THE WHOLE
Constantly look for opportunities to optimise value addition. Take a step back and look at the situation as a whole.
- Look back sufficiently
- Learn from other projects
- Implement changes immediately
Ensure quick delivery of software products to gather feedback as soon as possible.
- Define ‘Red Routes’ in advance
- Define basic workflows before starting the project
- Start with an MVP
- Define a ‘Happy Flow’
- Keep. It. Simple.
Download the 7 principles factsheet (Dutch)
Higher quality, lower costs
The founders of Lean Software Development, Tom en Mary Poppendieck, apply 7 principles in software development. Their application helps organisations develop software faster, with higher quality and at lower cost.
In our factsheet, you will read what these principles are and how GlobalOrange uses them in combination with the agile-scrum development methodology to execute our projects as successfully as possible.
Ready for next level product development?
Let's create a digital product that end users and business stakeholders will love and that is also future-proof, scalable, secure and easy to maintain.